TERMS

Registration  |  Discounts  |  Payment Methods  |  Terms & Conditions

SCLS Terms & Conditions

The prices advertised by the San Cristóbal Language School are all inclusive. There are no hidden fees. Our Terms & Conditions are listed below. During your orientation you will be asked to sign a form agreeing to them.

Responsibilities of SCLS Responsibilities of Student
Rescheduling Policy Missed Class Policy
Cancellation Policy Group Class Policy
Holidays Policy Medical Insurance
Volunteering Policy  

Responsibilities of SCLS

  • The San Cristóbal Language School is responsible for providing each of its students with a highly qualified Spanish language teacher.
  • The San Cristóbal Language School is responsible for providing each of its students with a suitable and comfortable learning environment.
  • The San Cristóbal Language School pledges to make available to each of its students a variety of cultural activities, workshops, and tours.
  • The San Cristóbal Language School arranges Mexican Homestays for students seeking to immerse themselves in the Spanish language and in Mexican culture. SCLS will make every effort to place interested students with host families committed to making each Homestay a restful and culturally rewarding language learning experience.
  • The San Cristóbal Language School’s teachers and staff will endeavor at every opportunity to facilitate Spanish language learning by providing SCLS students with constructive feedback.
  • San Cristóbal Language School’s teachers and staff are responsible not only for ensuring that SCLS students have a rewarding language learning experience, but also for ensuring that SCLS students have a great time in Mexico!

Responsibilities of Student

  • It is a Student’s responsibility to pay for the Spanish Package in which he or she has enrolled (and for Homestays if applicable) in advance of the first day of classes.
  • It is a Student’s responsibility to be on time for all classes.
  • It is a Students responsibility to talk with the teachers and/or administrative staff as soon as possible if they feel that an improvement can be made to their Spanish classes.
  • It is a Student’s responsibility to do the homework assigned by his or her teacher.
  • It is a Student’s responsibility to inform the San Cristóbal Language School of any foreseeable absences in accordance with the Rescheduling and Cancellation Policies listed below.
  • It is a Student’s responsibility to provide his or her own medical insurance. (See the Medical Insurance section below for details.

Rescheduling Policy 

  • If a student reschedules a Package 10 or more business days in advance of its scheduled start date, there will be no charge for the rescheduling.
  • If a student reschedules a Package 1-9 business days in advance of its scheduled start date, a reprogramming fee of $50.00 will be charged.
  • A student may not, after starting classes, reschedule a part of his or her Package without first obtaining the approval of San Cristobal Language School’s General Director. If the rescheduling can be accommodated, a $50.00 rescheduling fee will be charged.
  • A student wishing to reschedule a private class must request the change at least 24 hours in advance of the class. Failure to do so will result in the student being charged for the class. Group classes cannot be rescheduled without the consent of each and every member of the group.
  • If a student has been registered for a group Package and San Cristobal Language School does not have a suitable group available, the School will provide the student at no extra charge with private lessons for 2/3rds of the group hours originally agreed upon.

Missed Class Policy

  • A student who misses a class without notifying SCLS in writing at least 24 hours in advance of the class will be charged for the class.
  • If the student gives written notice that they will miss a class more than 24 hours ahead of time, the Rescheduling Policy detailed above applies.
  • A student wishing to participate in an activity, workshop or tour offered by the San Cristóbal Language School instead of attending a scheduled class can credit the cost of the class towards the cost of the activity, workshop or tour. If the cost of the class is greater than that of the activity, workshop or tour, the entire cost of the class will be forfeited.

Cancellation & Refund Policy

  • If a students wishes to cancel a Package 10 or more business days in advance of the first day of classes, a $50.00 cancellation fee will be charged and the remaining amount of the Package payment will be refunded to the student
  • If a student wishes to cancel a Package 1-9 business days in advance of the first day of classes, the student will be charged a programming fee equal to 20% of the Package cost. The remaining 80% will be refunded to the student.
  • Students who are unable to attend classes for which they have paid will be charged for the classes that they miss until SCLS receives a written notice of cancellation. Once a notice of cancellation has been received, 20% of what remains of the student's Package payment will be retained by San Cristobal Language School and the remaining 80% will be returned to the student.
  • If a student wishes to withdraw from the San Cristóbal Language School, he or she must provide SCLS with a written notice of withdrawal at least five days in advance of the withdrawal date. The student will be charged for the classes that he or she has taken and will be charged a programming fee equal to 20% of what remains of his or her Package payment. The remaining 80% will be refunded to the student.
  • The San Cristóbal Language School reserves the right to refuse a student classes at any time for reason of behavior that it deems unacceptable. If it chooses to refuse a student classes, the student will be charged for the classes that he or she has taken and 20% of what remains of the student’s Package payment will be retained by San Cristóbal Language School. The remaining 80% will be returned to the student.

Group Class Policy

  • If a student has enrolled in a Group Spanish package, but there are no appropriate groups available they will be given private classes with a reduction in hours. The relationship of the hours are as follows:
    • 1 hours of Group = 1 hour of Private
    • 1.5 hours of Group = 1 hour of Private
    • 2 hours of Group = 1.5 hours of Private
    • 2.5 hours of Group = 1.5 hour of Private everyday + 1 hours extra of private twice a week
    • 3 hours of Group = 2 hours of Private
    • 3.5 hours of Group = 2 hour of Private everyday + 1.5 hours extra of private twice a week
    • 4 hours of Group = 3 hours of Private
    • 4.5 hours of Group = 3 hour of Private everyday + 1.5 hours extra of private twice a week
    • 5 hours of Group = 4 hours of Private
    • 5.5 hours of Group = 4 hour of Private everyday + 1.5 hours extra of private twice a week
    • 6 hours of Group = 5 hours of Private
    • If a group is available for part of the total hours that the student is enrolled with, the student will be placed with the group for those hours and then be given private classes based on the hourly chart above.

Holidays Policy

  • The San Cristóbal Language School closes, to adhere to Mexican Labor laws, for the following national holidays. If you are scheduled for a class during any of these days, your hours will be made up with additional classes before or after said holiday. Note that December 24th and December 31st are half-days.
    • January 1st - New Year
    • February 5th – Constitution Day
    • March 21st - Benito Juarez Day
    • May 5th - Labor Day
    • September 16th - Independence Day
    • November 1st - Saints Holiday
    • November 20th - Mexican Revolution
    • December 24th - Half-Day at SCLS
    • December 25th – Christmas
    • December 31st - Half-Day at SCLS

Medical Insurance

  • Each student attending the San Cristóbal Language School is responsible for providing his or her own Medical Insurance.
  • During the orientation session each student will be required to sign a waiver waiver form (MS Word Format) absolving the San Cristóbal Language School of any responsibility in the case of injuries sustained or sickness suffered during the student’s tenure at SCLS.

Volunteer Policy

  • The San Cristóbal Language School endeavors to help its students identify volunteering opportunities in San Cristóbal, but work agreements are between students and San Cristóbal’s Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs).
  • The San Cristóbal Language School is not responsible for any aspect of the relationship between one of its students and an NGO.
  • The San Cristóbal Language School will provide a bi-lingual (English/Spanish) staff member to support the volunteers.